Sunday, October 6, 2013

Bombay Chutney

My sister-in-law's mother-in-law had made this chutney as a side-dish for idlis when we visited them for the first time. I was in the kitchen with her while she made it and was nonchalantly listening to the method of preparation. As soon as I tasted it, I wished I had paid a little more attention that could have saved me the time I spent on the internet digging out its recipe. As usual, I created an amalgamated version of the many recipes I found and also aunty's recipe and came up with this.
I have no idea why it is called Bombay chutney, for that matter why chutney at all. Nevertheless it makes a quick and tasty side dish and makes for a good change.

Ingredients:
  1. Besan/Gram flour - 1/4 cup dissolved in a cup of water without lumps.
  2. Onions - 1 large or 2 small thinly sliced
  3. Oil - 1 tbsp
  4. Mustard - 1/2 tsp.
  5. Green chillies - 2 slit length-wise
  6. Chana dal - 1 tsp.
  7. Curry leaves - 5-6 chopped
  8. Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp.
  9. Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tsp.
  10. Cinnamon powder (optional) - 1/4 tsp.
  11. Salt - to taste
Procedure:

  1. In a kadai, heat oil and temper with mustard seeds, chana dal and curry leaves. 
  2. Add green chilies and ginger-garlic paste and saute well.
  3. Add onions and fry till they are tender and turn golden brown.
  4. Add turmeric powder, cinnamon powder and salt.
  5. Add the besan solution to this and cook while stirring continuously on medium/high flame for 5-10 minutes till the raw smell of besan is gone. Add water as required while stirring to adjust the consistency. The thickness should be like aloo sagu.
  6. Serve with idlis/rava idlis/dosas/pooris.



No comments:

Post a Comment