Saturday, January 29, 2011

Basundi

The recipe is simple, but requires some time and patience. But other than that, it is not at all difficult. I got the recipe from my friend's wife Sowmya. I followed her instructions and it turned out much better than I expected. I attribute the success of this recipe to its simplicity.

Ingredients:
  1. Milk (whole milk) - 1 ltr.
  2. Sugar - 1/2 cup or as per taste
  3. Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp.
  4. Saffron - 10-15 strands
  5. Pistachio (thin slices) - 1 tsp.

Procedure:
  1. In a deep flat bottomed nonstick pan, heat milk on medium flame till the milk boils.
  2. Continue heating the milk on low flame till the milk is reduced to 1/3 of its original volume. During this process, layers of cream will be formed. Keep stirring in these layers of cream into the milk.
  3. Add sugar and stir till it dissolves completely.
  4. Add cardamom powder.
  5. Add saffron strands dissolved in 2 tsp. of warm milk.
  6. Remove from flame. After it cools to room temperature, refrigerate. Serve chilled, garnished with pistachio flakes.
According to most internet sources, Basundi and Rabdi are the same. Somehow, I personally call this dish above Basundi. It is thick and creamy and can be served as a singleton dessert.
I do refer to Rabdi in some of my other recipes, where it is used as an accompaniment for Jalebi or Malpua or as a part of the recipe for Shahi Tukra or Rasmalai. According to my definition, Rabdi must not be extremely thick and creamy, but just slightly thicker than milk so that it can be kind of soaked in by the Jalebi, Malpua etc. For making Rabdi for these dishes, you can follow the same instructions as above, but instead of reducing the milk to 1/3, reduce it to half its original volume.




No comments:

Post a Comment