Saturday, July 20, 2013

Haalu Saaru

This dish is typically made for bananthis (nursing mothers). My mil made it for me a couple of times after my baby and I tried out the recipe today. Its remarkably simple to make and extremely healthy. It is made even in non-bananthi houses and liked by a lot of people. A large majority though (including my husband) hate the dish, but again, it is an acquired taste. I don't have any qualms about the taste and don't mind it once a week if my baby is gonna get a little more milk.

Ingredients:

  1. Flat beans - 250-300 grams
  2. Peppercorns - 15-20 (crushed finely). Use less if you do not like pepper spice.
  3. Garlic pods - 12-15 (crushed finely)
  4. Rice flour - 1 heaped tsp. dissolved in 1/2 cup of water.
  5. Boiled milk - 150 ml.
  6. Salt - to taste
Procedure:
  1. Wash and cut the flat beans into 1 inch pieces. Cook in a pressure cooker with salt and minimal water.
  2. In a thick bottomed pan, heat the dissolved rice flour, garlic and pepper, keep stirring and boil till it becomes a thick paste. Add a little more water if required. The consistency should be like sweet corn soup.
  3. Add the cooked vegetables and continue boiling for 3-4 minutes.
  4. Add milk and bring to a boil. 
  5. Serve hot with plain rice or ragi mudde.

No comments:

Post a Comment